The Occupy movement is a leaderless collective demonstrating against overlapping grievances, with the majority of the people demanding some form of reform in government.
While there is no one goal or single concrete agenda for all to follow, many beautiful visions of a potential future are emerging, as evident by the following statement of principles arising from the Occupy Wall Street’s General Assembly:
- A truly free, democratic, and just society;
- where we, the people, come together and solve our problems by consensus;
- where people are encouraged to take personal and collective responsibility and participate in decision making;
- where we learn to live in harmony and embrace principles of toleration and respect for diversity and the differing views of others;
- where we secure the civil and human rights of all from violation by tyrannical forces and unjust governments;
- where political and economic institutions work to benefit all, not just the privileged few;
- where we provide full and free education to everyone, not merely to get jobs but to grow and flourish as human beings;
- where we value human needs over monetary gain, to ensure decent standards of living without which effective democracy is impossible;
- where we work together to protect the global environment to ensure that future generations will have safe and clean air, water and food supplies, and will be able to enjoy the beauty and bounty of nature that past generations have enjoyed.
Wow. What an incredibly just global civilization we could have if every nation internalized these values into the heart of their constitutions.
Well, there’s no time like the present for seizing the day. Take action now! The better world we’re dreaming of won’t arrive without our help.